- Powerschool – To join you will need to visit your student’s school. Please make sure to bring a valid driver’s license as they will need a copy.
- KCPS School App – The Kent County Public Schools app is available for free through the Apple App Store and Google Play.
- myschoolbucks.com – My School Bucks is an optional service for parents to view recent purchases and make prepayments to your child’s cafeteria account for meal and snack purchases via the Internet with a credit card/debit card. This service is offered as a convenience for interested families. By creating a secure online account, parents can manage their child’s account. Schools will continue to take cash for meals in the cafeteria. May also be used to pay for field trips and fundraisers.
Open houses are open to the general public to allow parents and guardians to look around the institutions and learn more about it. This is when students receive information on their schedules and meet their teachers. During open house, this is a great time to join your school’s PTA, sign up for volunteering opportunities and also to join powerschool.
- Kent County High School: August 25 – 9AM
- Kent County Middle School: August 25 – 10:30AM
- Galena Elementary School, H.H Garnet Elementary School, and Rock Hall Elementary School: August 25 – 2PM
Visit the KCPS Transportation page for Address Change forms, Opt-Out forms and more info on transportation.
PTA (Parent Teacher Association)
Parent Teacher Associations (PTA) is a network of families, students, teachers, administrators, and business and community members devoted to the educational success of children and the promotion of family engagement in schools.
- Galena Elementary School’s PTA: https://www.facebook.com/groups/296252111158748
- H.H. Garnet Elementary School’s PTA: https://www.facebook.com/hhgespta
- Rock Hall Elementary School’s PTA: https://www.facebook.com/RockHallElementary
- Kent County Middle School’s PTA: https://www.facebook.com/kcmstrojanspta
- Kent County High School’s PTSA: https://www.facebook.com/KCHSPTSA
- Kent County High School PTSA Application
Bookmark your school’s page on the KCPS website
- Galena Elementary School’s: https://www.kent.k12.md.us/galenaelementaryschool_home.aspx
- H.H. Garnet Elementary School’s: https://www.kent.k12.md.us/hhgarnetelementaryschool_home.aspx
- Rock Hall Elementary School’s: https://www.kent.k12.md.us/rockhallelementaryschool_home.aspx
- Kent County Middle School’s: https://www.kent.k12.md.us/kentcountymiddleschool_home.aspx
- Kent County High School’s: https://www.kent.k12.md.us/kentcountyhighschool_home.aspx
Also, bookmark the KCPS Technology page – https://www.kent.k12.md.us/Technology1.aspx
School Calendar, Delays & Early Dismissals
The 2022-2023 school calendar is available on the KCPS website by clicking here.
A time chart of Early Dismissal and Delays is posted on the SOS Facebook page.
Free or reduced meal application (FARM)
Children need healthy meals to learn. Kent County Public Schools offers healthy meals every day. Lunch costs $2.50 for elementary students and $2.75 for secondary students. Your children may qualify for free meals or for reduced-priced meals. Reduced price is $.40 for lunch. (More information about breakfast for the upcoming school year will be added when it becomes available)
For more information on Free and Reduced Meals, visit food services at https://www.kent.k12.md.us/FoodService1.aspx
Write an introductory letter to your principal and setup a meeting with your child’s teacher
Throughout your child’s school year, there is always a need to communicate with the school’s teachers, administrators, and others concerned with your child’s education. Oftentimes the school needs to communicate with you. This is particularly true when your child is receiving special education or related services. (Always make sure the office has your latest information especially if it has changed throughout the school year)
Letters in general (including emails – always save a copy) provide records of concerns, suggestions and any ideas you have to help your child’s education.
Your teacher should provide you with a copy of their contact information during the open house. Always refer back to that information when a concern arises.
Below is contact information for the Principal at each school:
- Galena Elementary School: Principal, Ms. Becky Yoder – email@example.com
- H.H. Garnet Elementary School: Principal, Ms. Brenda Rose – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Rock Hall Elementary School: Principal, Ms. Gillian Spero – email@example.com
- Kent County Middle School: Principal, Dr. Angela Holocker – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kent County High School: Principal, Ms. Kris Hemstetter – email@example.com
For other letters of concerns:
- Special Education Services: Supervisor, Wendy Keen – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Student Services: Supervisor, Tracey Williams – email@example.com
- Transportation: Supervisor, Joseph Wheeler – firstname.lastname@example.org
Read the Student Code of Conduct and Student Handbook
KCPS is committed to ensuring that all students learn in a safe and nurturing environment, and that all policies are enforced in a fair and consistent manner. Therefore, this Code of Conduct serves as guidelines that support behavioral and disciplinary policies. All students are expected to be aware of and abide by this Student Code of Conduct. Parents are asked to read the KCPS Student Code of Conduct carefully and discuss the information herein with their children.
You will receive a copy of the Student Handbook at the start of the school year. It is also available on the KCPS website by clicking here.
SAFETY CONCERNS: Report any concerns of school or community violence, abuse, harassment or bullying, mental health crisis or substance use disorders to Safe schools Maryland at 1-833-MD-B-SAFE (1-800-632-7233). An online tip form is available at: https://schoolsafety.maryland.gov/Pages/Tipline.aspx Safe Schools Maryland is Maryland’s only official anonymous reporting system. If there is an immediate emergency, please call 911.
BULLY, HARASSMENT OR INTIMIDATION: Bullying, harassment, or intimidation are serious and will not be tolerated. This form is to report alleged bullying, harassment, or intimidation.
SPECIAL EDUCATION: The Kent County Public Schools Office of Special Education section provides information and resources to parents, students and instructional personnel. Special Education is specially designed instruction to meet the unique needs of a child with a disability. All services through the Office of Special Education are provided at no cost to parents of students with disabilities.
SCHOOL BOARD INFORMATION:
Members and contact info – https://www.kent.k12.md.us/SchoolBoardmembers.aspx
BOE Meeting Agendas and Minutes – https://go.boarddocs.com/mabe/kcps/Board.nsf/Public
Board Meeting Video Archive – https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtZizLSCmQtHWzqQm8K5Mng/videos
BLUEPRINT FOR MARYLAND’S FUTURE:
Find out about Blueprint Stakeholder Committees and how you can contribute by clicking here.
Social Media Pages to Follow
(* indicate pages that are not affiliated with KCPS)
- Support Our Schools FB Page*
- Kent County Public Schools FB Page
- KCPS Twitter Page
- KCPS Instagram Page
- Galena Elementary School’s FB Page
- H.H. Garnet Elementary School’s FB Page
- Rock Hall Elementary School’s FB Page
- Kent County Middle School’s FB Page
- Kent County High School’s FB Page
- KCHS FFA – Future Farmers of America
- KCHS – Visual Arts
- KCHS – Counseling Dept.
- KCHS – National Art Honor Society
- KCHS Interact
- Kent County Public Schools’ Family Support Resource Center & Special Education Citizens’s Advisory Committee FB Page
- 90.5 WKHS
- Kent County Trojans Football
- KCPS Theatre
- KCHS Swimming
- Kent County MBRT Next Generation Scholars*